Archive for Grease
No doubt you already own many of these, but just in case you don’t, we wanted to spread the word and let you know the price is right if you’re looking to grow your collection of musicals on film. Here are our top picks based on savings, but there are oodles more available at amazing prices on Amazon.com right now.
There is no doubt that pop culture powerhouses like Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and Pink, can sell out a live performance. From jam packed amphitheaters of 20,000 to more intimate venues of a few hundred, fans flock to experience the talented vocals and outrageous fashions of these diva dynamos. What if the likes of Katy Perry and Beyonce were front and center on a different type of stage, however? How would these superstars fare as the leading ladies of some of our favorite Broadway musicals? Here are 5 examples of pop stars who should give it a try, along with the roles and musicals they would be a good fit for!
Taylor Swift as Laurie in Oklahoma!
While most Hollywood songstresses have edgy or provocative personas, Taylor Swift is one of the few who retains a more wholesome all-American vibe that would translate perfectly to Laurie Williams’ character in Oklahoma! Her country music roots would fit in perfectly amongst the waving wheat backdrop of Oklahoma, and she could certainly do justice to “Many a New Day” and “People Will Say We’re in Love.” She would also do a great job exploring the conflict of simultaneously being drawn to the darkness of Jud and the purity of Curly, since she has been romantically linked to bad boys like John Mayer, as well as more innocent beaus like Harry Styles.
Britney Spears as Sandy in Grease
Who better equipped to portray Sandy’s radical change from letter sweater sweetheart to leather clad rebel, than someone who has been through a similar shift in her own personal life? Brittney Spears first found the limelight as a Mickey Mouse Club Mousketeer, and over the years has abandoned her bubbly teen pop ways in favor of a rebellious, unabashedly sexual persona. Who knows- maybe Brit could even use her connections to rally former Mousketeers Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake as members of the Pink Ladies and T-Birds!
Adele as Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray
For many Hollywood starlets, being asked to sport an exaggerated bouffant hairstyle would be an annoyance if not a deal-breaker for accepting the part of Tracy Turnblad. Adele, however, is known and celebrated for her chic retro 1960’s inspired style including, yes, her signature poofed bouffant hairdos! Tracy’s role also calls for someone who is extremely comfortable in their own skin, and Adele fits the bill to a T. In fact, in 2012 it was rumored that Adele was very upset after Jennifer Hudson, a spokesperson for Weight Watchers, approached her to suggest she join the program. Adele reports that she is happy the way she is, and has no intentions of dieting. Lastly, it would be really refreshing to witness the soulful quality that Adele would contribute to traditionally light and frothy numbers like “I can Hear the Bells.”
Pink as Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun
A defiant, gutsy, independent gal with a unique fashion sense and the firmly rooted belief that she can do anything better than any man can? That description is perfectly suited for both Annie Oakley and Pink, making this a great potential Broadway match. Both females have a distinct spunk and sass, so Pink would surely do a bang up job expressing those qualities throughout the show, particularly in the already spirited number, “Anything You Can Do.” Despite brimming with confidence, Annie Oakley’s character is still vulnerable in her search for a meaningful and deep love. After all, you can’t just “get a man with a gun.” Luckily the parallels continue, for just as Annie eventually finds her Frank, headstrong Pink has also found her true match. She and Carey Hart have been married for over 10 years.
Jennifer Lopez as Maria in West Side Story
J.Lo is as much of a shoe-in for this part as there could be! Pop culture’s favorite “Jenny from the Block” was born in New York City to two parents of Puerto Rican descent. Having grown up living and breathing a Puerto Rican heritage in the heart of NYC, she would lend an undeniable authenticity to her portrayal of Maria. Ms. Lopez is also uniquely suited to tackle this dance-intense role because early in her career she held a high profile position as a Fly Girl dancer on In Living Color. On top of that, Maria’s character has to fall deeply, madly, in love, in a short period of time. She daydreams about marrying Tony mere moments after they first meet, afterall! Thankfully, J.Lo is no stranger to falling in deep, quick, love, as evidenced by her three separate marriages and one failed engagement. Wouldn’t it be great to see J.Lo take on the role of Maria “tonight, tonight?”
Aleksandra Sobic is a Broadway musical enthusiast who writes for Halloweencostumes.com. When she isn’t able to perform on an actual stage, she has no shame in prancing around her apartment in various hats belting “I Feel Pretty!” She hasn’t received any noise complaints as of yet…
The people of Twitter and Facebook have spoken; here are the shows they think should be revived and the stars that should headline each, listed in no particular order.
- Sunset Boulevard starring Sutton Foster, Hunter Parrish, Glenn Close, Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters, Neil Partick Harris, Norbert Leo Butz, Carol Burnett, Angela Lansbury, Doris Day, Tyne Daily or Josh Young
- Once Upon a Mattress starring Megan Hilty
- Gypsy starring Sutton Foster
- Grand Hotel
- Pippin starring Neil Patrick Harris, Naya Rivera, Gavin Creel or Traci Thoms
- Mame starring Carol Burnett, Vera Charles, Lily Tomlin, Megan Mallally or Sutton Foster
- Dreamgirls starring Patina Miller, Da’vine, Joy Randolph, Montego Glover, Anika Noni Rose, Queen Latifah, LaChanze or Beyonce
- Les Miserables starring Lea Salonga
- Bombay Dreams
- Aida starring Adam Pascal and Heather Headley
- Jesus Christ Superstar starring Adam Pascal
- Beauty and the Beast starring Clémence Poésy
- The Music Man starring Jeremy Jordan
- Assassins starring Tatum Channing
- Grease starring Justin Bieber or Sam Harris
- Hello Dolly starring Patty Lupone, Bernadette Peters, Bette Midler, Danny Divito or Harvey Fierstein
- Thoroughly Modern Millie
- Sweet Charity starring Sutton Foster
- Cats starring Ryan Steele
- Into the Woods starring Bernadette Peters
- My Fair Lady starring Angela Lansbury
- Funny Girl starring Sutton Foster or Lea Michele
- Pirates of Penzance
- Side Show starring Laura Osnes and Cassie Levy
- Sweeny Todd starring Christian Borle and Sutton Foster
- The Rocky Horror Show
- Miss Saigon starring Lea Salonga
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- Ghost starring Sutton Foster and Richard Fleeshman
- Carousel starring anyone but Taylor Swift
Is a show or star missing from this list? Add it in the comments below!