Archive for Longest running broadway musical
Broadway’s longest running show, Phantom of the Opera, reaches another staggering milestone – 9,000 performances!
Tonight’s performance of Phantom of the Opera will mark the show’s 9,000 Broadway performance!
Since its debut on January 26, 1988, the Broadway version of Phantom of the Opera has grossed $740 million and has been attended by over 13 million patrons. Internationally the show has earned over $5 billion, played over 65,000 performances and been seen by over 100 million attendees.
The show has broken an unprecedented number of records, including:
• The longest-running show in Broadway history
• Largest capitalization for any show – $8 million
• Largest total advance – $18 million
• Total gross and attendance
• The number of years before a single ticket was
ever sold at the TKTS ticket booth in Times
Square – over 14 years
• George Lee Andrews who plays Monsieur
Andre continues to be the performer with
the longest time in the same Broadway show
Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber confirmed that he is working on a sequel to the show, Phantom: Love Never Dies. Information about that show is forthcoming.